Friday, August 20, 2010

iPad

Photobucket


So like all geeks I tend to be interested in the latest and greatest tech devices. The ipad is the latest toy from Steve Jobs and his buddies over at Apple, the same people who gave us the ipod and the iphone. Well despite interest in it ( and I will admit right now I have not personally played with one yet) I'm fairly sure I will not be purchasing one, at least not yet. The tech is brand new and like all new devices there are things that could just be better.

Having read a number of reviews on the item there are a few serious flaws that stand out to me.

1. Inability to multitask.Multitasking in this day and age is a serious part of any internet geeks requirement for survival. If I cannot blog, listen to music, and surf the internet for po.....err, interesting links to blog about at the same time then I don't want the device. To me that is a serious blunder. If it is fixed in later versions of the ipad then I will consider the purchasing of one.

2. Lack of internet choice. They have a deal with AT&T for 30 bucks a month you get unlimited amounts of data and you can always get free AT&T wi-fi. Doesn't sound like a big deal, unless you don't use AT&T. To be able to get full access to the internet besides through AT&T is another fee tacked onto the already sizable cost of the ipad.

3. No Flash. This isn't a huge issue to me currently. More of something I would likely find issue with once I own one. Flash is used on a number of websites and even a lot of little games and videos on the internet. I could see this causing problems for me and other users.

4. Must use apple apps. It's wonderful that you have access to movies, music, and E-books at the touch of a screen. It sucks though that you absolutely must use apple to obtain these items. Lack of competition causes higher prices and less variety.

I think I will wait until either Apple opens up the market more with a better device or a competitor comes in and steals some of the thunder. Until then it shall be me and my laptop which I have been planning on purchasing for a while now.

No comments:

Post a Comment